Harrisburg Christian School was founded by a group of faithful parents and area Christian leaders who believed that the primary responsibility for the educational instruction of children, according to Scripture, belongs to parents and churches, not the state. This group incorporated as a non-profit educational institution known as the Christian School Association of Greater Harrisburg and was granted tax-exempt status. The school was opened on September 13, 1955 with its first classrooms in the Melrose Gardens Grace Brethren Church. During this first year there were 23 children enrolled in grades one through four. The second year, this same location had 30 students in grades one through five. The third year, having outgrown these quarters, the school moved to 4118 Jonestown Road with 38 students in six grades.
One year only was spent at this location due to state construction of a highway cloverleaf upon the school site. In September of 1958, the school rented Fothergill Elementary School in Steelton for one year. Opening with 50 students and eight grades, another location was secured at North Fifth Street in Harrisburg. Two years were spent at this location. The next four years found the school again renting a vacated public school in Highspire. When this facility was taken over by the local town government for other purposes, it become mandatory that the school build its own facility.
The existing campus contains twenty-four classrooms, STEM labs, a library, a Fine Arts Center, an Arts and Athletics Center, and a the Knight Cafe. Situated on beautiful Blue Mountain one mile from Linglestown, Harrisburg Christian School resides on 38 acres of fields, woods, and wetlands. Approximately eleven acres of the campus have been developed as athletic fields.